[Air-l] email is 'out'

Sarah Robbins intellagirl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 06:22:25 PDT 2006

Deanya: I think I have to disagree with you about availability and overall
productivity. The "distributed attention" type model has shown that today's
students have a bit more ability to multitask well than we do. There's no
doubt that their ability to do this may need to mature (ie they need to know
which signals are important and which can wait) but their digital print
settings (lots and lots of simultaneous windows) and their connectivity via
phones, Blackberry, IM, email etc. suits what the workforce is looking for
which is people who can do five things at once and do them all well. I teach
my students to discriminate between all of the signals (ie sources of info
they are connected to) so they can pay selective attention to what is really
important at any one moment.
There's certainly a time to shut it all off and focus on one task or one
form of communication but as someone who multitasks all the time myself, I
can't with good conscience preach to them that they'll have to ditch their
connectivity to fit in to corporate culture.
Just my opinion as a techno-addict.