[Air-l] email is 'out'

Deanya Lattimore mdlattim at syr.edu
Sat Oct 14 09:31:21 PDT 2006

Sarah, I'm not disagreeing with you: That's why I asked the question,
which one will it be? I'm not convinced that future companies run by
these multi-tasking students will ask them to turn off their cell
phones in meetings.  I am, in fact, convinced otherwise: that these
students will create work environments that allow them to remain
superficially connected.  I just can't predict what the outcome of such
environments will be.

Jeremy, are you thinking it won't be possible for an Einstein to emerge
with a distributed brain processing model?  Does "Einstein-level"
thinking require Richard's "deep cranial cogitation"? (LOL - thanks for
this, Rick.)

All I know is that different kinds of brains process information in
different ways.  Just because multi-tasking is a new model, I don't
believe that all people, even in the future, will do it anywhere near
equally well.
Back in my day, some kids listened to music or watched tv while they
did their homework.  I couldn't.  I have to process information
auditorily, so side sounds distract me.

I keep trying to remember that we are all differently abled; I, for
instance, cannot see images in my head -- I have visual memory
dysfunction.  I can't see pictures of -- "visualize" -- anything in my
head.  I can't play chess, because I can't visualize moves in advance.
It was extremely hard for me to learn my multiplication tables because
most people use visual memory to do it, and my teachers didn't know any
other way to help me.  I still can't add two two-digit numbers in my
head because I can't remember that much information (eight places)
without extreme effort and concentration.

I think we need more research of how multi-tasking works with certain
processing skills before we can decide what percentage of the
population does it effectively.

Another qualitative story: I generally allow students (1st-semester
freshmen) to use laptops during class.  Last week, we were writing a
collaborative group paper on the overhead computer screen, and I asked
everyone not taking notes on their laptops to close them up.  We had
done similar activities before with very little discussion.  Several
people after class (laptop typers and non-) told me how exciting class
was with all of the discussion (so they noticed the difference without
my saying anything about it).

:-D.
Deanya
ps. becoming "unavail" to you people for a few hours now (  ;-)  Ellie)