[Air-l] timeline: TRS 80

Ellis Godard egodard at csun.edu
Sat Oct 14 15:04:47 PDT 2006

What I remember as the Trash-80 (and what Jim and Alex have mentioned) were
four models (original, "Model II", "Model III", and "Model 4") of desktops
made 1977-c.1983.

What you're remembering your journalist friends carrying were two latter
additions to the series, the TRS-80 PC-1 (1981-?) and the TRS-80 PC-2
(1982-?) - though even those ceased production in the mid-80s, so that I'd
be surprised if any journalist you knew was carrying one in the mid-90s.

All six were superceded by the Model 600, in 1985, which combined features
of each (portability of the PC-X models, and bulk of the desktops), which
itself was the precursor of the first generation of "laptops".

I made use of a friend's Trash-80 (model 200, c.1979) for a short time, then
got an Apple II+ (c.1980), finally replaced with a Datavue Spark (which
itself ought to be added to the Timeline, as one of the first laptops ever
made, with 640KB Ram and a 9.77MHz processor, woo-hoo!).

For photos of any one these (to toggle your memory, or meander memory lane)
see
http://www.old-computers.com/search/default.asp

-eg