[Air-l] A definition of the internet

Ellis Godard egodard at csun.edu
Mon Oct 16 20:16:32 PDT 2006

We might each have a definition that’s "really good" for our own purpose(s),
and all have different definitions. Moreover, any one definition would be
useless for at least one other person, and no definition would be "really
good" for everyone. Words are tools. Meanings are contextual and strategic.
Essentialism is hollow. :)

That said, I define it (much as Nancy has) as a network of TCP/IP networks
to distinguish it from cyberspace (social life distributed through/on/as/in
the Internet), but with an explicit awareness of hardware, software, and
otherware convergences.

-eg