[Air-l] Definitions

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Wed Oct 18 09:51:20 PDT 2006

>If "research" is something done by humanists and artists, as well as
>scientists and practitioners, is there anyone who isn't a researcher? Is
>this, in essense, the Association of Internet Anythingers?

The #1 goal of AoIR from its outset has been, and I quote from our
founding statement of goals:

"to provide an interdisciplinary and interprofessional organization
for promotion of scholarly and critical research into the social,
cultural, political, economic and aesthetic aspects of the Internet."

There are millions of people who use the internet but do not take it
as a topic of scholarly or critical inquiry (i.e. "internet
anythingers").

A look around most any university will reveal that there are many
ways of conducting scholarly and critical inquiry other than science
and social science, a small sampling of which would include time
honored traditions such as philosophy, literary analysis, and
artistic production and performance. Recasting these modes of inquiry
as science or dismissing them as not research do not further our
understandings of the internet and alienate those members of AoIR who
use them as their epistimological strategies.

Nancy