[Air-l] undergrad text on CMC?

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Thu Oct 26 16:36:48 PDT 2006

Mark,

I like Thurlow et al's text on CMC.  It's very undergrad friendly - it assumes
very little prior knowledge about CMC, has good coverage of a wide range of
topics and has some nice exercises scattered throughout (though I don't think
it covers wikis).

Thurlow, Crispin, Laura Lengel and Alice Tomic. 2004. Computer mediated
communication: Social interaction and the internet. London: Sage.

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw - PhD student
Department of Linguistics
Culture, Language & Social Practice
Women and Gender Studies
University of Colorado at Boulder
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~raclaw/
http://sociocmc.blogspot.com

Quoting Mark Warschauer <markw at uci.edu>:

* Can anybody recommend a recent overview book (authored or edited) on
* CMC that would be suitable for an undergraduate class?  It's for a
* class on Technology and Literacy.  I plan on using my own recently
* released _Laptops and Literacy_ to cover issues related to K-12
* education.  I'd like to use one additional book that gives an
* overview of CMC (email, text messaging, Web, bulletin boards, blogs,
* wikis, etc.) suitable for undergraduate students at a research
* university.
*
* Thanks,
* Mark
* --
* Mark Warschauer
* Associate Professor of Education and Informatics
* University of California, Irvine
* 2001 Berkeley Place
* Irvine, CA 92697-5500
* tel: (949) 824-2526,  fax: (949) 824-2965
* markw at uci.edu; http://www.gse.uci.edu/faculty/markw
* is provided by the Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org
* Subscribe, change options or unsubscribe at: