[Air-l] AOIR organization

Sam Tilden tildensam at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 19:24:23 PDT 2006

Et Al,

  Thanks you for the history. Clearly you did a great job.

  We're luck to have you guys.

  Thanks again,

  Sam

Steve Jones <sjones at uic.edu> wrote:
  I'm pretty sure NCA was first...the Drake conference was, I think, in
October 1998, then NCA was in November in New York, and I think we
had that first meeting at the Marriott, the conference hotel,
followed by a meeting at ICA in San Francisco.

Nancy, is that your recollection as well?

And Gil, you're quite right, Nancy deserves special recognition for
hosting that first conference. It was the first "realization" if you
will of what had been a largely virtual association until then, and
it set the tone for future conferences. All those who attended that
conference in Lawrence deserve a nod, too, because it was more than a
bit of a leap of faith to attend. I mean, it was an association in
name only, there was no track record of good conferences (or bad ones
for that matter), so it was pretty amazing, and gratifying, that so
many people showed up. It certainly got AoIR conferences off on the
right foot!

And Jeremy deserves special recognition for enabling the
association's...virtuality (that sounds more fun than "technology"
somehow). He was tireless, brimming with ideas, and a great
colleague. The Pratt Institute is lucky to have snagged him.

Sj

http://www.aoir.org/