[Air-l] Making history

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Sat Oct 28 06:07:20 PDT 2006

I am struck by the "Primacy syndrome" that seems to affect many Internet
enterprises.
First research group, First academic program, First communities of some
sort, First you name it ...
As if being, or having been, the first or one of the first matters over
such a short period, except for the analysis of the genesis and history
of ideas.

The latter might show by the way the dominant influence of real world
structures, linguistic, academic, demographic, economical, competitive,
etc. on the cyberworld.

Without any intention to downplay the value and role of OCS, I'd like to
mention that the virtual community Mistica -*M*ethodology and *S*ocial
*I*mpact of the *I*nformation and *C*omunication *T*echnologies in
*A*merica  (http://funredes.org/misitica) started in February 1999 and
has been quite effective in catalyzing Latin American and Caribbean
views about the social impact of ICT in the region.

Michel Menou

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:35:28 +0200
> From: "Josep Vives " <josep.vives at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Air-l] THIRD WORLD ONLINE CONGRESS: "OPEN KNOWLEDGE,	FREE
> 	SOCIETY": CFP UNTILL 5 NOV 06. REGISTRATION (free) 20 NOV
> To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
>
> (cross posting, please)
>
> Folks,
>
> The Observatory for the CyberSociety (OCS) is one of the first
> Knowledge Digital Communities --Like Aoir..    ;-)   -- arisen in the
> Ibero-American area
> dedicated to studying and analyze about the relations among the
> sociocultural dimension of the cyberspace and the Information and
> Communication Technologies (ICT).
snip

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Consultant in ICT policies and Knowledge & Information Management
Adviser of Somos at Telecentros board http://www.tele-centros.org
Member of the founding steering committee of
Telecenters of the Americas Partnership http://www.tele-centers.net/
B.P. 15
F-49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: micheljmenou [at] gmail.com