[Air-l] null hypothesis

Ellis Godard egodard at csun.edu
Sun Oct 29 16:07:46 PST 2006

But the term identifies a notable behavior: harsh critique of relative
unknowns, in a setting in which critique sometimes traverses greater social
distance than FTF communication typically permits, and yet in which critique
of intimates (sometimes even polite but engaged critique) is similarly
likely to be stigmatized - enough so that it even has a name, flaming. Using
that term doesn't assume media-specific differences; it encapsulates them.

-eg