[Air-l] suggestions?

Nicola Doering Nicola.Doering at tu-ilmenau.de
Mon Oct 2 21:04:52 PDT 2006

Charles:

Check out Joe Walther's intelligent academic parody of Internet
Addiction by claiming "Communication Addiction Disorder" CAD:
http://psychcentral.com/archives/walther_cad.pdf
Applicable to so called email, texting etc. "addictions".

James Katz conducted an experiment on cell phone deprivation:
Katz, J. E. (2005). Mobile phones in educational settings. In K. Nyiri
(Ed.), A sense of place: The global and the local in mobile
communication (pp. 305-317). Vienna: Passagen Verlag.
http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/ci/cmcs/publications/articles/mobile%20phones%20in%20educational%20settings.pdf#search=%22katz%20cell%20phone%20educational%22
pp. 97-98

Good luck,
Nicola

> Hi AoIRists,
>
> I've been asked by a local TV station to comment on a story they're doing
> titled "Techno Detox".  They have one volunteer (so far) to engage in the
> following:
>

>>We are looking for individuals who are "addicted" to technology (iPod, cell
>>phone, texting, email, facebook/myspace, etc)
>>We would like to have those individuals tell us why they love their gadgets
>>and then have them go cold turkey for a few days.  We'll check in to see how
>>they're doing and then wrap up at the end of the week as they are allowed to
>>once again use those coveted items.
>>Now, failure can also be part of the story.  We just want people who are
>>willing to give it an honest effort, and candidly tell us about their
>>experience.
>

> 1.  I know that someone(s) at AoIR in Brisbane mentioned a similar sort of
> process, but done (if memory serves - always a shaky assumption) as an
> academic study.  If anyone on the list who was also at AoIR in Brisbane can
> remember this conversation - can you please contact me offlist with the
> details of the study?
>
> 2.  I have a number of qualms about participating in the story as a local
> "expert" - but hope that by doing so I might be able to defuse some of the
> prevailing dichotomies that seem to shape reporting on media (beginning, in
> this instance, by using the disease model of addiction as the primary
> frame).  Stated another way, I'm hoping to provide more informed and nuanced
> commentary that would help both the reporter and the audience move away from
> these sorts of notions of technology (good or bad? cure or disease? blessing
> or curse, etc.) - notions that fuel the sorts of "moral panic" reporting on
> new media (currently, e.g., connections between violent video games and
> recent episodes of violence in schools, etc.)
>
> So ... does anyone have good research relevant to these concerns and the
> phenomena in question that you would recommend as useful background reading
> as I prepare for the interview?
>
> Many thanks in advance -
> charles
>

> Distinguished Research Professor,
> Interdisciplinary Studies <http://www.drury.edu/gp21>
> Drury University
> 900 N. Benton Ave.              Voice: 417-873-7230
> Springfield, MO  65802  USA       FAX: 417-873-7435
> Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
>
> Information Ethics Fellow, 2006-07, Center for Information Policy Research,
> School of Information Studies, UW-Milwaukee
> Co-chair, CATaC conferences <www.catacconference.org>
> Vice-President, Association of Internet Researchers <www.aoir.org>
> Professor II, Globalization and Applied Ethics Programmes
> <http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php>
>
> Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23

Prof. Dr. Nicola Doering
Fachgebiet Medienkonzeption / Medienpsychologie
Direktorin des Instituts fuer Medien- und Kommunikationswissenschaft
Technische Universität Ilmenau

Address: Am Eichicht 1, D-98693 Ilmenau
Phone:   ++49 (0)3677 - 69 4704 (-4703 Sekretariat)
E-Mail:  nicola.doering at tu-ilmenau.de
Web:     http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/mkmp
          http://www.nicola-doering.de/