[Air-l] Reactions to PhD blogs at conference

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Thu Oct 5 14:51:31 PDT 2006

It has changed in Aus. At my university many PhD students are on a
government fees scholarship. These used to be loosely administered,
and students could go years over their original submission dates and
still complete. But now the time limits are much more strictly
imposed by the funding body. And, more seriously, no funding is now
released until the student completes. So the pressure is very high to
complete as quickly as possible. As a part-time student I'm not
subject to quite so much pressure, and p/t students who complete
generally do it under their time limit, unlike full-time students who
often have to stretch the limits. As you'd expect - major projects,
big brain work and their presentation in the form of a 100,000 word
thesis isn't always amenable to an imposed timetable. In addition,
the introduction of some course work at the beginning of the process
to make up real or perceived deficits in the candidate's knowledge
isn't reflected in a shorter thesis, so the process has in fact
become much more pressured downunder.

M-H