[Air-l] wikipedia research?

paolo massa massa at itc.it
Sun Oct 8 13:49:24 PDT 2006

I don't know if you have heard of WikiMania conferences.
Wikimania 2006 [1], the second annual international Wikimedia
conference, was held August 4–6 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, hosted by
the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at the Harvard Law School
campus.
The list of presentations is online [2].
People in this list might be interested in the Track "Wiki Social Science" [3].

The meta page at wikimedia "Power structure" [4] is also very
interesting, reporting the Wikipedia's (balanced?) mix of Anarchy,
Precedent (tradition), Despotism, Democracy, Republic, Meritocracy,
Plutocracy, Technocracy and more.

If I might add some more links, a bit less about "social structure"
and a bit more about "experts/non experts" issues, I suggest everybody
to read "The Early History of Nupedia and Wikipedia: A Memoir" [5] [6]
written by Larry Sanger, one of the moving forces behind the Nupedia
project, from which Wikipedia originated.
And also the comments of Clay Shirky about Sanger's new recent
project, Citizendium, "Larry Sanger, Citizendium, and the Problem of
Expertise" [7] and Sanger's response [8].

Well, I guess I included too many links but all of them are very
intersting, IMHO.

P.

[1] http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
[2] http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:Index