[Air-l] ICT's Timeline: thanks and first draft

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Wed Oct 11 08:25:16 PDT 2006

> My new motivation is here to ask for an advice : should I consider the
> history of "databases" as relevant in my reflection and should I link it to
> the developpement of on-line ressources ? (which I couldn't take into
> account yet)

Rather than databases per se, you might consider E.F. Codd's application
of relational calculus to data as the "turning point" to identify.

Here's an appropriate cite:

Codd, E.F. (1970). "A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data
Banks". Communications of the ACM 13 (6): 377-387.

Hope this helps,

--elijah