[Air-l] ICT's Timeline: thanks and first draft

Julian Hopkins julianh at help.edu.my
Wed Oct 11 20:44:42 PDT 2006

Hello Jeremy,

I'm surprised you don't include the Sinclair ZX80 (see e.g.
http://www.oldcomputers.net/zx80.html ) in your timeline - I may be mistaken
but I think it was the first 'PC' that was cheap enough to go straight into
the average household - the ZX81 had more of a mass market and then it was
followed by the Spectrum.

I remember playing my first computer game on a ZX81, and using them in
school too :)

On the database question - I would say that yes they have to be considered.
However a database is in essence just a list of things - which must have
been around ever since the first sapiens tried to tell someone about their
favourite gathering spots :) So how and why (or if) they become something
exclusively 'IT' I don't know.

Mark Poster deals with the significance of databases in a Foucauldian
manner: Poster, Mark.  The Second Media Age. Cambridge: Polity Press; 1995.

Regards,

Julian

Julian Hopkins
Lecturer