[Air-l] multitasking

Charlie Balch charlie at balch.org
Sat Oct 14 18:21:46 PDT 2006

It is fascinating how we live in a world that is very different from that of
even a few decades ago. The changes to our world expose different abilities.

I suggest a paradigm that we all have certain amount of "attention ability"
and that we also have differing attention "divide abilities." A person with
a high level of attention ability and a high level divide ability could
effectively multitask. A more moderate attention ability with a combined
moderate level of attention divide ability might be described as attention
deficient disorder.

A person with high attention ability but low attention divide ability would
be able to do very well on some tasks. For instance, many persons who create
computer code have been found to be border-line autistic. Autistics are very
good at focusing on one thing such as the creation of computer code.

Like computer programming, new technologies are exposing talents and
abilities that may not have been useful in earlier times. I find this very
Darwinian.

Charlie
LSU Doctoral Candidate (hopefully done soon)
AWC Professor of CIS