[Air-l] A definition of the internet

Robert Cannon rcannon100 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 07:20:34 PDT 2006

For a collection of legal (statutory, regulatory, case
law) definitions of the Internet, see
http://www.cybertelecom.org/notes/internet.htm

My favor definition of the Internet is the Federal
Networking Council from 1995

"Internet" refers to the global information system
that --

    (i) is logically linked together by a globally
unique address space based on the Internet Protocol
(IP) or its subsequent extensions/follow-ons;
    (ii) is able to support communications using the
Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol
(TCP/IP) suite or its subsequent
extensions/follow-ons, and/or other IP-compatible
protocols; and
    (iii) provides, uses or makes accessible, either
publicly or privately, high level services layered on
the communications and related infrastructure
described herein."

-- FNC Resolution: Definition of "Internet" 10/24/95
http://www.itrd.gov/fnc/Internet_res.html Link no
longer valid