[Air-l] germane name dropping

Sam Tilden tildensam at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 14:11:44 PDT 2006

Barry,

  Did you share your feelings about The Center for Internet Research and Dr. Cornwell. Dr. Cerf is an advisor there. http://tcfir.org/bod.cfm

  Sam

Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca> wrote:
  I just came from lunch with Vint Cerf, who as much as anyone can be
considered the father of the Internet.

(Don't believe me: as they would say on the new version of Laugh-In,
"Look it up in your Wikipedia").

I apologize to the list, but I didn't have the guts to ask him to define
the Internet, even though we have been hotly debating it.

Part of the reason is that the lunch (with 4 other computer scientists)
didn't go in that direction. Vint was deeply interested in the kind of
work that AoIR social scientists have been doing, and in particular
(although this may be politeness) in our NetLab's stuff on network size
and the dearth of online-only ties.

What a day! Vint Cerf for lunch, and seeing Barbra Streisand in concert
tonight! It hasn't been as good as this since the Blue Jays won the World
Series in 1993 (and I got to see Devon White's triple play)!

Barry Wellman

PS: A free cappucino at an AoIR conference if you can tell me (in private)
which social scientist dated Streisand in high school (Not me, alas).

Barry Wellman S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology NetLab Director
Centre for Urban & Community Studies University of Toronto
455 Spadina Avenue Toronto Canada M5S 2G8 fax:+1-416-978-7162
wellman at chass.utoronto.ca http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

http://www.aoir.org/