[Air-l] Practical bon log application advice

Alex Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:43:39 PDT 2006

Quick note: it's a .org:

http://www.s9y.org/

But if you are new to blogging, the last thing you want to worry about
is dealing with installs. Even if you aren't new to blogging. I have
had a lot of success with http://wordpress.com, but livejournal and
blogger are also reasonable choices. Again, I'd recommend against
doing installs (or having your students install) unless you are a
masochist. None of the systems are particularly difficult to install
or maintain, but why do it if someone else will do it for you?

Best,

Alex

On 10/18/06, elw at stderr.org <elw at stderr.org> wrote:

> > We will probably be able to get server space on a university computer.
> > But I need advice on possible software/applications.  At a minimum we
> > want our students to be able to input/upload text and images (video
> > would be nice, too).  The interface needs to be relatively simple, as we
> > will sometimes be working from cybercafés, with limited time to fuss
> > with things.  And, of course, cost is a factor.  Any suggestions?
>
> "geeky street cred" these days seems to go to serendipity:
>
> http://www.s9y.com/
>
> It lacks some of the most annoying warts that affect Wordpress
> (http://www.wordpress.org) and Movable Type
> (http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype), the other two weblog publishing
> systems that people are likely to recommend to you.
>
> Other systems, such as Drupal and Joomla! and Moodle, could be tweaked
> into meeting your needs-- but probably significantly outstrip your need
> for flexibility or your desire to carry out extensive configuration.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --elijah

//
// This email is
// [X] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais
// Social Architect
// http://alex.halavais.net