[Air-l] refs on myspace and facebook

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Tue Oct 31 11:21:40 PST 2006

>Can anyone recommend some top of the line research on MySpace and
>Facebook? I'm looking for thoughtful academic work rather than
>journalists' accounts.

Bonnie -

danah boyd recently compiled this list of all the published work she
could find on her blog
(http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archives/2006/08/19/research_on_soc.html)

I'd appreciate hearing any recommendations of articles not listed.

     * Acquisti, Alessandro and Ralph Gross. 2006. "Imagined
Communities: Awareness, Information Sharing, and Privacy on the
Facebook." Privacy Enhancing Technologies. Cambridge: June 28-30.

     * Adamic, Lada, Orkut Buyukkokten, and Eytan Adar. 2003. "A
social network caught in the Web." First Monday.

     * Barnes, Susan. 2006. A privacy paradox: Social networking in
the United States. First Monday.

     * boyd, danah. 2007. "None of this is Real." Structures of
Participation (ed. Joe Karaganis). Duke University Press.

     * boyd, danah. 2006. "Identity Production in a Networked Culture:
Why Youth Heart MySpace." Talk as AAAS 2006 (part of panel: "It's
10PM: Do You Know Where Your Children Are ... Online!"). St. Louis,
Missouri: February 19.

     * boyd, danah and Jeffrey Heer. 2006. "Profiles as Conversation:
Networked Identity Performance on Friendster." Proceedings of the
Hawai'i International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-39) ,
Persistent Conversation Track. Kauai, HI: IEEE Computer Society.
January 4 - 7.

     * boyd, danah. 2004. "Friendster and Publicly Articulated Social
Networks." Conference on Human Factors and Computing Systems (CHI
2004). Vienna: ACM, April 24-29.

     * Donath, Judith and danah boyd. 2004. "Public displays of
connection." BT Technology Journal Vol 22, No 4. October, pp 71-82.

     * Ellison, Nicole, Charles Steinfield, and Cliff Lampe. 2006.
"Spatially Bounded Online Social Networks and Social Capital: The
Role of Facebook." Paper presented at the annual meeting of the
International Communication Association, Dresden, June 19-23.

     * Gajjala, Radhika. (in-progress) "Production of Raced and
Classed Selves as (Stereotypical) Interface: Social Networks at the
Intersection of Online/Offline, Global/Local." Cultural Studies
Reader - edited by Michael Ryan.

     * Geidner, Nicholas, Christopher Flook and Mark Bell. (in review)
"Male Self-Identification on Facebook.com." Communication Quarterly.

     * Gross, Ralph and Alessandro Acquisti. 2005. "Information
Reveleation and Privacy in Online Social Networks." ACM WPES Workshop.

     * Heer, Jeffrey and danah boyd. 2005. "Vizster: Visualizing
Online Social Networks." IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization
(InfoVis 2005). Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 23-25.

     * Hewitt, Anne and Andrea Forte. 2006. "Crossing Boundaries:
Identity Management and Student/Faculty Relationships on the
Facebook." Poster/Extended Abstract, CSCW 2006.

     * Liu, Hugo, Pattie Maes, Glorianna Davenport. 2006. "Unraveling
the taste fabric of social networks." International Journal on
Semantic Web and Information Systems 2(1), 42-71, Hershey, PA: Idea
Academic Publishers.

     * Marwick, Alice. 2005. "'I'm a Lot More Interesting than a
Friendster Profile': Identity Presentation, Authenticity and Power in
Social Networking Services." Association of Online Internet
Researchers. Chicago.

     * Perkel, Dan. 2006. "Copy and Paste Literacy: Literacy Practices
in the Production of a MySpace Profile." Informal Learning and
Digital Media. Odense Denmark: September 21-23.

     * Recuero, Raquel. 2005. "Um estudo do capital social gerado a
partir das Redes Sociais no Orkut e nos Weblogs." Trabalho
apresentado no GT de Tecnologias da Comunicacao e da Informacao da
COMPOS 2005, em Niteroi/RJ. (in Portuguese)

     * Spertus, Ellen, Mehran Sahami and Orkut Buyukkokten. 2005.
"Evaluating similarity measures: a large-scale study in the orkut
social network." Conference on Knowledge Discovery in Data.

     * Stutzman, Frederic. 2006. "An Evaluation of Identity-Sharing
Behavior in Social Network Communities." iDMa Journal.