[Air-l] Facebook protests

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell wrc at tcfir.org
Thu Sep 7 10:32:29 PDT 2006

I have spent the last hour reading these threads. This low stakes dialogue
is replete with opportunities for investigation. It is worthy of AOIR and
its brain power.

Ellis Godard's dissertation contains a phrase which has application
(paraphrase) "We are all half blind on the Internet." The illusion of
privacy here seems to be a longing to be anonymous in a crowd; a longing to
be recognized without intimacy. The protest seems to come from having this
illusion discredited.

Also, I have observed that young people tend to confuse acquaintantship with
friendship. Being half blind, this confusion is exaggerated.

Back to my goats,

Reid

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell
The Center For Internet Research