[Air-l] ableist language (was facebook)

Ellis Godard egodard at csun.edu
Thu Sep 7 23:34:16 PDT 2006

I'm all for respecting differences, and choosing words carefully. And I of
course mean no offense in saying that I can't see your hair color, hair
length, height, facial expressions, etcetera - nor that I am blinded to
innumerable aspects of your appearance and behavior.

As with optical blindness, I have a significant lack of (visual) awareness
of many typically (and visually) observable matters. To infer from that I'm
casting aspersions upon the visually impaired, is somewhere between
insulting and inane. But I nonetheless appreciate your sparking a frustrated
chuckle. ;)

-eg