[Air-l] Fwd: [school-discuss] Self Organising Systems for mass education

radhika gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Sun Sep 10 14:14:08 PDT 2006

thanks Jeremy - I was on a unesco open-source something or other list
for a while last year and then went away from my computer(s) to
spaces where they claim there is a need for salvation throuhg
computer literacy  - will probably get back on and see what I missed.

>On Sep 10, 2006, at 9:45 AM, radhika gajjala wrote:
>>  Such projects are always written up with a great deal of celebration.
>Yes, i remain skeptical.
>>  I have seen other reports of the hole in the wall project - and
>>  needless to say it looks interesting and wonderful when taken fully
>>  out of context.
>>  Of course the utility of computer literacy for a particular kind of
>>  global world (with it colonizing undertones) is
>>  unquestionable.Somewhat like "learning English" was in previous
>>  decades (still is) in the so-called "developing world"....
>yes, i wonder about 'whose computer literacy' we are talking about.
>given the way people related to OLPC suggested that the simputer for
>textually illiterate users was a bad approach.  human capacities
>don't always need to map into western ideations.
>>  but is just "computer access" the goal?
>>  what does it mean to be computer literate in specific contexts?
>or computer literate at all, or informationally literate.   we have
>quite a few people here with clear, and well written opinions on that.
>There was actually a pretty good prior post critiquing OLPC prior to
>this posting on the school-discuss list.   I'm wondering if we aren't
>seeing, much like happened here in our last set of discussions, that
>the evidence from the hole in the wall project is being used more as
>a trope than as evidence in the battle for funding/etc.
>However, right now it is being discussed in the e-learning forum of
>unesco again http://www.unesco.org/iiep/virtualuniversity/forums.php
>has links ...
>jeremy hunsinger
>Assistant Professor
>Pratt Institute
>()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
>/\                        - against microsoft attachments
>http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki
>http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  Learning Inquiry-the journal
>http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/  Transdisciplinary
>Studies:the book series
>The air-l at listserv.aoir.org mailing list

Radhika Gajjala
Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator
School of Communication Studies
302 West Hall
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43402

For queries about
BGSU's School of Communication Studies
Grad program, email comsgrad at bgsu.edu

For info on the Theory Research cluster at SCS - see