[Air-l] american internet penetration stats?

Ronald E. Rice rrice at comm.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 11 11:25:50 PDT 2006

Here are US Internet user, former users (dropouts), nonusers, nonaware,
aware nonusers, from 1995, 1996, 1997 and 2000 nationally representative
telephone surveys.  This is table 3.1, from chapter 3, of Katz, J. & Rice,
R.E. (2002).   Social consequences of Internet use: Access, involvement and
interaction.  Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.  Table 3.3 breaks usage/nonusage
percentages down by demographics, table 3.4 by reported start year (i.e.,
1992 through 1999), Table 3.8 shows awareness of Internet in each of the
survey years by demographics, etc.

     Oct.  1995
     Nov.  1996
     Nov.  1997
     Mar.  2000

      Sample N
     2500
     557
     2148
     1305

      Users
     8.1%
     18.8%
     30.1%
     59.7%

      Former Users as Percent of Respondents
     7.8%
     11.5%
     9.8%
     10.5%

      Former Users as Percent of Current & Former Users
     48.7%
     37.9%
     24.6%
     14.9%

      Not Users
     84.3%
     69.9%
     60.1%
     29.7%

      Not Aware of Internet,

      Not Users
     15.2%
     10.1%
     9.9%
     8.3%

      Aware of Internet,

      Not Users
     69.1%
     59.8%
     50.2%
     21.4%

======================================
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication
Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center for Film, Television and New Media
President of the International Communication Association 2006-2007
Fulbright Professor, Finland 2006
Dept. of Communication, 4840 Ellison Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
ph: 805-893-8696; fax: 805-893-7102
rrice at comm.ucsb.edu