[Air-l] vampirefreaks and moral panics

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 14 11:37:32 PDT 2006

Columbine also had the connection between goth music and culture, which is
where I'd think a lot of the blame will end up for the Dawson's shooting as
well - if anything, I would think something might be mentioned between the use
of social software as a vehicle for planning the killings, rather than an
explicit link being made between the two.

I'm interested in what the reactions from other online goth communities will
be like, both members and site admin, who I can only assume will be under fire
in the near future.

Joshua Raclaw - PhD student
Department of Linguistics
Culture, Language & Social Practice
University of Colorado at Boulder
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~raclaw/

Quoting Bernie Hogan <bernie.hogan at utoronto.ca>:

* Just a note - The Patriot act is US legislation and this is a Canadian
* investigation.
*
* Is anyone else waiting to hear how the moral panic might shape up?
* We've already had heavy metal music (Late 80s / Early 90s shooters - see
* Tipper Gore) and violent video games (Columbine), surely someone is going to
* editorialize some link between social software and this terrible event.
*
* Take care,
* BERNiE
*
* Bernie Hogan
* PhD Candidate
* Department of Sociology
* University of Toronto
*
* I received a message from Sara M. Grimes at approximately 9/14/06 1:49 PM.
* Above is my reply.
*
* > Thank you to those who have suggested I look in Google cache and similar
* web
* > archives.
* >
* > Just to clarify on my last post and question, however, I'm trying to find
* > information about how and why and by whom the journal was deleted. It seems
* > that this is standard practice in these cases, but who makes the actual
* > decision to remove it - is it the sites themselves, or is it a standard
* part
* > of the police investigation (or is there even some law within the patriot
* > act that dictates that they have to)?
* >