[Air-l] Taxonomy of Content on the Internet

John Veitch jsveitch at ate.co.nz
Wed Sep 20 03:59:03 PDT 2006

William.

The stories you've heard the 25% of the internet (or more) is porn are
urban myth.

Get a list of the top 100 sites. NONE of them are porn sites although
some like MySpace may have pornographic content.

If you know something about web traffic, a few very popular sites and a
very very very long tail all the porn sites that exist are part of that
long tail.  So porn is clearly a tiny part of the internet.  But if you
want to find porn, that's easy.

"Net Ratings, tracked the number of visitors to porn Web sites. It says
that in April 2001, there were 22.9 million unique visitors to porn
sites. This says nothing about how long each visitor stayed or whether
they spent a dime. In any event, the number of visitors is less than the
number who visited news sites (41.1 million), finance sites (34.2
million) or greeting card sites (25.5 million). When was the last time
you heard anyone talk about how greeting card sites dominate the Net?"

In fact it's impossible to tell exactly where the porn sites are, except
by looking. Any photograph may or may not be porn, any text may or may
not describe sex in a pornographic manner, any video may or may not be
pornographic. So you can't tell by file types what the file contains.

Forester Research tried to make the measurement you asked for. They gave
up. They said that the margin of error was so great that the numbers
they were producing were essentially meaningless.

John