[Air-l] Open access social science publishing - coming to the UK

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 03:37:44 PDT 2006

As Alex Halavais suggested recently if the NSF insisted that projects
it funded publish online it would make a big difference I thought I
would point out that in the UK recently the ESRC (a very large UK
funder of social science research) among others has announced
something close to this, to take effect in a few weeks.

http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/Support/access/

It would definitely be worthwhile for readers of this list to check
out http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ from time to time.

As an aside the British Academy has just come out with a report
critical of the way copyright is enforced in the UK (at least insofar
as it interferes with academic work).

http://groupblog.workasone.net/archives/2006/09/the-british-academy-
joins-the-copyright-wars/

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
dealingwithemail/>
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)