[Air-l] Listserv research

Rosanna Tarsiero rosanna at gionnethics.com
Sat Sep 23 17:49:29 PDT 2006

Steve,

As I said some posts ago, what I'm presently working onto are communities of
practice, mainly virtual ones.

And since my background (medical), I don't think there is any other way than
the equivalent to a working formulation to define groups. That is, one does
a literature review (or even a meta-analysis, but that's somewhat trickier
even though it could help in selecting - for example - those studies whose
"groups" were spontaneously emerging or artificially created rather than
comparing apples with oranges), select a number of characteristics for a
definition of "group" or "community" or "CoP" etc (and online it's way
easier because CMC can be tracked easily in terms of logs, email number and
metrics, etc) and defines the four men who meet once a month to play poker a
group IF and ONLY IF they satisfy the working definition.

Now, the peril in it is that you (generic) could end up selecting only what
you want to see, but the advantage is that with a working definition results
can be *compared*, ie if I define a virtual CoP as "more than three persons"
that "interact through collaborative software", for "work-related reasons",
and "at least 3 times a week" meanwhile they exchange "private emails or
phone calls at least once a week" I can be sure that this definition might
be inappropriate, only partially correct or even frankly off-base but the
study results from different researches and researchers CAN be compared and
findings MIGHT be applied to other groups fitting the same definition.

I am actually engaged into a taxonomy of online groups from an online
facilitation perspective. The approach that I adopted is the one above, the
"working formulation" (as in hematology, when nobody could understand
anything about non-Hodgkin lymphomas and their histology - it was before
monoclonal and recombinant antibodies: so they classified lymphomas basing
on some symptoms and their morphology into low-, intermediate- and
high-grade lymphomas... not perfect but allowed doctors to do diagnosis and
treatment while nothing more precise was available), classifies online
groups and how to facilitate them basing on some behaviours that are
displayed in the way their members do CMC.

Far from being perfect, it should allow (in my intention) to have a platform
for comparing various findings and hopefully will be amended as more
findings are added.

Rosanna Tarsiero