[Air-l] Air-list

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Thu Sep 14 03:51:00 PDT 2006

On Sep 13, 2006, at 11:19 PM, joshua raclaw wrote:

> Christian,
>
> I wouldn't say we all have the 'have to' impulse, having deleted a
> number of
> these recent emails outright rather than wade through them all while
> hoping for
> something list-relevant :)

I'm sure that its not a universal phenomenon. Probably varies at least
by how long people have used email and at what point in their life they
began.

> I'm not sure I see the connection between that kind of impetus and F2F
> habits,
> though - attending to list posts involves actively opening emails
> using a
> medium that was designed for asynchronous communication, which I don't
> see much
> of a parallel to in face to face spoken discourse

That's my point. f2f and email comm. are quite different. Yet some
folks on the list still seem to treat the list's email as though it
were part of a f2f dialogue. Hmmm.

--Christian