[Air-l] Aftermath of flame war

Stephanie Jo Kent kentcon at sover.net
Thu Sep 14 17:09:59 PDT 2006

I agree, Ingbert, this is an amazingly rich resource for study.   fyi,
I did make an attempt to study a segment of discourse that occurred on
this list last year after the bombings in London.  I contacted each of
the participants for permission (informed consent).  Half responded,
half did not.  Of those who did, I received permission only from a
couple.  The others wanted to attach conditions.  I was discouraged.
:-(

I would hesitate to state so unequivocally the labels you used to acts
of discourse without a collective analysis, but the problem is that no
one wants to be 'singled out' (as it were) as enacting an instantiation
of most things, let alone most of the behaviors on your list.  Even to
offer a specific example (which you did not) would potentially target
someone and lead to who knows what unintended consequences.

Kevin proposed an alternative:

> I am not interested in (publicly) discussing this listserv and its
> recent and ongoing events.  What I am interesting in is expanding my
> own knowledge of relevant research which may inform the discussion and
> aid me in placing this into context.

I appreciate this impulse.  It may be an example of the kind of
orientation that leads to the academic life: the consideration of
theory and its application in other people's lives - in other words, in
contexts other than our own.  :-/  BUT, here we are, "in" this context.

For myself, I want to work in both environments.  I want to use the
skills of real-life intervention in academia, and bring the insights of
academic theory and constructions of knowledge to everyday life.
Perhaps there is a way to tack between the two proposals (yours and
Kevin's) in a way that produces a framework for self-study that enough
AoIR's would accept?

steph
http://www.reflexivity.us