[Air-l] Listserv research

Rosanna Tarsiero rosanna at gionnethics.com
Fri Sep 22 19:48:49 PDT 2006

Steve,

You wrote:
"How would a "governance" that is "problematic" relate to the Tuckman
model?"

It has much to do with what you wrote here, IMHO:
"One hunch: this kind of loose federation, with members joining at different
times, dropping in and out, isn't really a "group" at all in the sense that
Tuckman thinks of groups. If that is so, the group is always "forming" for
some--you mention that you are new, so you're "forming"-- and "storming" and
"norming" and "performing" go on together and endlessly, rather than in
clearly marked stages."

There is a lot of fuss, and a lot of studies, about "community", online as
well as offline. The bottom line of what makes a community is participation
in shared governance forms (any form).

When groups form and especially *norm*, they create rules as well as
procedures to create new rules and change old ones, ie governance.

That's why I said that whenever there is a governance problem Tuckman can't
be applied, in my opinion. If governance is problematic, there can be no
norming.

"In which case Tuckman doesn't apply."

In fact, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Rosanna