[Air-l] Listserv research

Dr. Steve Eskow drseskow at cox.net
Fri Sep 22 20:25:21 PDT 2006

Rosanna,

Perhaps the key variable is not "governance," but the idea of an "agenda':
some sort of organizing center that is more specific than the concern that
is at the center of many online groups.

In the "Fielding model," to the extent that I understand it, the agenda that
brings an online group into being is a "KA," a "Knowledge Area." Is that
right? That "KA," although open to many variations, is defined in advance by
the institution; all members of the group are required to complete the "KA";
and although the faculty member is nominally a democratic leader , he or she
has some authority. And, of course, the members are all highly motivated:
they all need to complete the KA as part of their search for a graduate
degree.

Most online groups do not have that clarity of structure, do not have an
"agenda' in that sense, although they have a zone of interest, members have
different motivations for joining and differing levels of interest.

Hypothesis: Tuckman only applies when a "group"--online or face-to-face--has
a clear "agenda," a clear set of obligations for participants, and an
authority structure in place and visible and respected.

Steve Eskow