[Air-l] groups, intentions and conventions

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 00:34:37 PDT 2006

Michele Sohn wrote “No set agenda - it's water cooler conversation for knowledge workers.” And I wonder if this and much of the discourse in the previous thread doesn't address the distinction that's been made on this listserve several times between community and network.
  The main purpose of any group with set organizing principles or statutes may not be to discuss those principles but inevitably it seems to me they'll sometimes do so. this obviously happens at certain given times (e.g., when they're dividing into subgroups, working groups, merging, breaking up...). It seems to me that there is always a kind of meta-narrative in any group. Is that tribal? Does tribal mean level of technological sophistication?

  Best regards, William

William Bain
PhD Student
Comparative Literature