[Air-l] Social Networking Web Site Permissions...

denisecarter at denisecarter.net denisecarter at denisecarter.net
Fri Sep 1 01:16:34 PDT 2006

Dear Marcie,
I am presently undertaking research on a social networking site that is as big
as myspace (not yet at liberty to say which one!). Even with the full
cooperation of the SN site themselves, and the fact that their members agree to
particular conditions on joining we have had the devil's own job getting ethical
approval through our university board of ethics - not least because many of the
members are under the age of 13yrs. I strongly advise you to make sure that you
have full ethical approval - as elijah says - 'you'll have to do quite a lot
more work to properly do research that involves MySpace.'
Denise

Dr Denise Maia Carter,
Research Fellow,
Cyberspace Research Unit