[Air-l] Facebook protests

Mark Bell typewritermark at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 20:45:59 PDT 2006

Sarah "Intellagirl" Robbins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellagirl) and I
were interviewed by our schools newspaper on this issue today. Basically, we
agreed there is nothing new being displayed and every facebook user has
already chose to show this information.

I think the biggest issue is the the information is now being shown in a
more prominent place. This is a reaction though, all of the information
could have been found easily before. Their privacy is an illusion.

On 9/6/06, Ledbetter, Andrew Michael <aledbett at ku.edu> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the recent changes at
> facebook and subsequent user response:
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71739-0.html?tw=rss.technology
>
> Briefly, facebook recently enabled "news feeds" which allow anyone's
> friends to immediately see changes to profiles, friendship networks, etc., a
> feature which cannot be deactivated. In response, many users have formed
> protest groups, one of which has approximately half a million members (and
> there are thousands of other protest groups)---the users claim the changes
> are "stalker-ish". Media is framing as a tension between the transparency of
> social networking sites and desire for privacy.
>
> Andrew M. Ledbetter
> Doctoral Candidate
> Department of Communication Studies
> University of Kansas

Mark Bell
MA student in Ball State University's Digital Storytelling program
http://www.storygeek.com
"The future is here...it's just not widely distributed." - Tim O'Reilly