[Air-l] Facebook protests

mark andrejevic mark-andrejevic at uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 7 08:13:13 PDT 2006

One of the interesting consequences of the news feed is that users
can now see how many of their friends have joined the protest against
it. It's helping to snowball the backlash it has generated.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how quickly users
habituate themselves to this change, assuming facebook stands its
ground. Remember the initial reaction to the gmail advertising scheme
(scan messages to customize ad content)? As I recall Google backed
off this briefly, but not for long -- and now people seem to hardly
notice.

As for the status of privacy expectations -- I was a journalist back
when database reporting was going mainstream. We were fascinated by
how easy it was (at the time) to go to whichever government agency
caught our  attention and ask them to dump all their public record
data onto disks which we could then sort through using spreadsheet
and database programs. In theory all of these records had long been
public; in practice going through them looking for correlations would
have been prohibitively time consuming and labor intensive without
digital files.

There is an important difference between theory and practice in cases
like this -- and people are generally smart enough, I think, to
understand that difference. Yes, in theory, all the information that
one posted about oneself on Facebook could be meticulously sorted
through, time stamped, and archived by someone paying VERY close
attention to your page -- and the pages of scores of other "friends."
In practice, doing this would be prohibitively time consuming and
labor intensive. Facebook has just closed the gap between theory (all
information is publicly available) and reality (actually gathering
all this info would require monitoring everyone's facebook page 24
hours a day) -- and it seems important not to overlook the fact that
this does represent a significant change (to insist that it doesn't
is to insist that people don't understand the difference between
theory and practice (because ideally, perhaps, there shouldn't be
one) -- a pathology that seems endemic to the academy).

Having said that, there's something interesting about those moments
when we're forced to face the fact that the privacy we act like we
think we have is (even in practice) becoming increasingly illusory.
I'd speculate that many people still treat search engines as if the
information they enter is private. AOL and the New York Times (among
other outlets) recently drove home the point that it is only private
in the sense that it has become the property of the search engines
themselves (who can, at will, disclose it publicly, or to state
authorities).

Finally, as to expectations of privacy -- although there is no
constitutional right to privacy, there are certainly elements of
privacy built into the constitution (fourth amendment) and more than
a century's worth of reliance on the notion of a common law privacy
right. The right to privacy plays an important role in key judicial
decisions with very important consequences. We do have a Privacy Act,
after all, and the president is supposed to get permission before
wiretapping us. I don't think the common sense version of privacy was
derived entirely from thin air.  I'm plenty willing to critique the
notion of privacy, but let's not cave too quickly -- we might be
providing a bit too much assistance to those only too willing to
agree.