[Air-l] Facebook protests

Sarah Brooke Robbins intellagirl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 13:40:14 PDT 2006

The whole Facebook discussion is absolutely fascinating. I love how this
list thinks!

I was interviewed by our campus paper about it yesterday and among many of
the ideas already presented here I also expressed the importance of
"personal brand" management that today's die-hard internet user needs to
become acclimated to. I think what we're seeing with the Facebook backlash
is more about a maturation of personal data management than a problem with
"stalkerish" behavior. Digital social networks are rather new in the big
picture and it takes time for communities to acclimate to any such tool.
Sometimes it takes a shift like this one to make users more reflective and
critical of their use and that's never a bad thing in my book.

I also think it's truly fascinating that the protesters are using Facebook
itself as a tool to organize. There must be a sense of commitment to the
technology there that I haven't quite wrapped my brain around yet.

It's also important to see this reactionary behavior in a bigger sense.
Unlike an offline protest that would actually require folks to get out into
the street and organize, participating in an online revolt is often a
click,type,click level of participation. I could sign about a dozen online
petitions in ten minutes. How dedicated can I really be to the cause if this
is all the effort I have to put in to take part?

Sarah "Intellagirl" Robbins
Ball State University, Muncie IN