[Air-l] disjunction

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 7 19:42:18 PDT 2006

The US General Social Survey claims the average American has slightly more
than 2 people they discuss important matters with.

Our Connected Lives and Pew Strength of Ties studies show somewhat higher
numbers (see Hogan, Carrasco & Wellman on our website). But still reckoned
by the dozen (or two).

When the inevitable reporter calls, how do I reconcile these numbers with
the 100-200 or so that folks on this list are saying are Facebook
"friends".

Does anyone have a distribution of the # of friends per Facebook account:
mean, median, mode, quartiles, ranges would be nice too.

 Barry

      You're invited to visit & contribute to the new version of
 "Updating Cybertimes: It's Time to Bring Our Culture into Cyberspace"
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php