[Air-l] postdoc glut and the overproduction of ph.d.'s?

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell wrc at tcfir.org
Wed Sep 13 11:18:24 PDT 2006

Jeremy,

I have been a corporate wonk most of my adult life. Spanning 3 decades, I
have had my feet squarely in both Academia and the world Corporate
community. Neither fish nor fowl, I have been criticized by both as an
apologist for the opposing view. I founded and ran a high tech "headhunting
firm" which was sold a decade ago.

My more strident opinions have derived from this experience. The sentiment
that gets me in the most trouble is that I am totally irreverent to academic
pretensions. (if not hostile) The link you provided clearly addresses one
manifestation of this pretension.

I have given it a name "Academic Arrogance." Britannica asked me to write on
this subject for their group on Gather. It sarcastically, parallels the
article in TheScience you referenced.

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976781580

On another note, I apologize for the direct roasting I gave you over
"transciplinary" and other vocabulary. I could have said the same things in
other ways that were not so personal. I have posted this to the forum
because I flamed you in public so I want to apologize to you in public.

I have observed that you are a very bright young man and open to a wide
range of thinking. A characteristic I greatly admire.

I apologize to the rest of you for this personal message.

Regards,

Reid