[Air-l] FW: _ From Counterculture to Cyberculture_ excerpts online

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Fri Sep 15 11:06:34 PDT 2006

I was asked to forward this, and because it may be of interest to air-l
subscribers, here it is...

Holly Kruse
holly-kruse at utulsa.edu

Subject: Excerpts from Fred Turner's new cyberculture book
From:    "Dean Blobaum" <db at press.uchicago.edu>
Date:    Fri, September 15, 2006 9:17 am

Dear list moderator,

The University of Chicago Press has just released Fred Turner's book From
Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and
the Rise of Digital Utopianism. Turner explores the transformation of the
cultural meaning of computer and network technology--from technologies of
dehumanization and centralized bureaucracy to instruments of personal
transformation and social revolution. Central to his story are a few
influential San Francisco Bay-area entrepreneurs: Stewart Brand and the
Whole Earth network.

We have two excerpts from Turner's  book on our website.  You can read the
introduction and an excerpt about the Whole Earth Catalog and the emerging
digital culture.

Introduction: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/817415.html
Chapter 4 excerpt: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/817415.html

Fred suggested we contact you about these excerpts. I hope you will find
them of interest and perhaps something you can post to the AIR-L list or
other venues where they will find a readership.

Thanks much.

Dean Blobaum
The University of Chicago Press: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/
Publicity blog: http://pressblog.uchicago.edu/