[Air-l] Fwd: RE: Facebook Protest and other things you raised.

Sarah Brooke Robbins intellagirl at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 08:09:34 PDT 2006

Sal: I'm SO glad you made the connection from social networks on
Facebook-like sites and MMOGs. I've been pining to do it here but sat back
to watch the arguments first.
Your comparison is especially insightful to me because it stresses the point
that in MMORPGs and networking sites alike, the real commodity is a user
base. Whether that user number is used to justify advertising investment or
monthly subscription costs, the number of people using the site/network is
what attracts money into the system. Thus, as the main commodity of a site,
users tend to begin to feel some sense of ownership in that community (as
the sites encourage them to do). One of the most interesting ideas to me
regarding the Facebook situation is that the students I've spoken to felt
that the site was "for students" in a way that made it feel like a closed
community which I think made them feel safer. They trusted that their
profiles would only be viewed by people "like them." I think this sense of a
membership went a long way in causing the feelings of violation and
creepiness that contributed to the protests.
On another tack, your ideas about what the users have contributed to the
community in their "one way" relationship makes me think about SecondLife
where the stakes seem even higher. Users hold the copyright on anything they
create in the environment and can make real money from their creations
(search for Slingo to see an example) thus when the creators of SecondLife
make a system change people feel not only their comfort threatened but also
their money-making potential and we all know that money makes the world go
round :)

Sarah "Intellagirl" Robbins