[Air-l] ableist language (was facebook)

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell wrc at tcfir.org
Thu Sep 7 15:04:18 PDT 2006

Kathy,

I take your point. I can't speak for Ellis since I know he is reading these
posts.

I am unsure how or why you are using "ableist". There is nothing in what I
wrote to suggest "ableism." You had to reach to get that flame.

My point was that there is a disconnect between the affective perception of
privacy and the reality of privacy. There is a disconnect between the need
to be seen and the reality of being exposed. "Willful" is exactly opposite
of my intent. "Unconscious" denial was intended.

I think my quote of Ellis is more out of context than paraphrased. I read
his work because he is influenced by Donald Black at UVA and I am fascinated
by Blackian theories of "Pure Sociology." Black is a proponent of rigor in
Sociology.

My use of "blind" was to indicate the absence of a sensory modality I.E.
can't see it all. It is a metaphor. I take exception to your labeling my
comments as a "willful spin." I had no such intention. To say someone is
"blind" carries no more connotation than saying someone is black, Hispanic,
or a man. For me "oblivious" carries far more negative implications.

I think your final paragraph is duplicitous and condescending in light of
your "thanks." I'm assuming that this was "unconscious" and not willful. If
you want to keep it friendly you should reexamine your own comments.

Reid