[Air-l] Facebook and privacy

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at umich.edu
Sun Sep 10 07:48:21 PDT 2006

I think the two go together very well, and danah's quote is really nice.

Facebookers gave up their privacy, in the info-org view, when they
made their accounts and posted whatever info they did and when they
even do actions on Facebook (since webservers keep records of actions)

but as users they probably (I haven't asked) weren't thinking about
it very much -- their *experience* was that they could do all these
things on the web and no one they knew really knew what they were
doing (so, maybe Amazon would show them their recently viewed
products, but only to the user, and does Amazon look at that on the
individual level? -- that's rhetorical)

so privacy was their previous experience, but not the actual state of
the data
perhaps "realization" or "exposure" have a place here, but I don't
want to introduce more vocabulary

ndp...