[Air-l] Open access publishing (was a modest proposal)

Kevin Guidry krguidry at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 20:23:30 PDT 2006

On 9/10/06, elw at stderr.org <elw at stderr.org> wrote:

> The NIH tried that, or has tried, is trying to do that, and has had [to
> best of my knowledge so far - maybe they got somewhere by now?] a very
> difficult time 'requiring' that it happen.

   According to a report submitted to Congress in January, "The rate
of submission to the NIHMS system in the fIrst 8 months has been less
than 4 percent of the total number of articles estimated to be
eligible."  The full report (only 10 pages) can be found at
http://publicaccess.nih.gov/Final_Report_20060201.pdf.

> Lots of info about this over at peter suber's blog.

   The Association of Research Libraries also has some good
information about the Federal Research Public Access Act of 2006
(S.2695) at http://www.arl.org/info/frn/other/access/.

Kevin