[Air-l] Open access publishing (was a modest proposal)

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell wrc at tcfir.org
Mon Sep 11 15:10:55 PDT 2006

Alex,

It is my understanding 17 USC 105 was amended to expand the scope. The
amendment was attached to another funding bill and I am trying to track that
down. I am aware that the "Public Information in Science Act" HR 2613 is
stuck in committee.

Peer review as I am suggesting would not be limited to a relatively small
group. I imagine that all publications could be vetted by use. That is to
say in an electronic format one could see precisely how many cites refer to
the article and for what points.

Another imaginative approach would be to publish everything and then let the
entire community of scholars vet it on several dimensions. Accuracy,
clarity, cohesiveness, grammar, point made, method etc.

Keep in mind I am brainstorming.

What would happen if everybody on the listserv were allowed to publish what
they select as there best work and then let the entire community rate it.

As to Einstein, No doubt, he was often his own enemy. However old world
prejudices kept his work out of circulation. It was only when they could no
longer ignore him that he got recognition. The history of science is replete
with stories like this. It appears that, the more revolutionary the
thinking, the greater the resistance.

Max Planck was fond of saying, to his colleagues and students "Do your own
thinking." He was saying always question scientific and intellectual
authority. He was saying that just because many people hold an idea doesn't
make it right. Current practices, in my view, give too much up to
conventional wisdom (even in intellectual circles). Social customs and
structures tend to impede innovation and creativity. Part of my irreverence
is that I understand the humanness of scientists and their jealousies and
biases.

Of course I can make these outstanding proposals because I am at the end of
my career. I don't have the same personal concerns.

Reid