[Air-l] american internet penetration stats?

Chadwick Andrew Andrew.Chadwick at rhul.ac.uk
Tue Sep 12 03:09:58 PDT 2006

Hi there,

I just had a look. Pasted from the "Information Technology" section of
the list of variables:

"INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

The indicators in this category refer to computer equipment and
networks.

Personal computers The number of personal computers (i.e., designed to
be operated by a
single user at a time) in use in the country. Primarily ITU estimates
based on a number of national and international sources.

Internet subscribers The number of Internet subscribers including
dial-up, leased and
broadband.

Cable modem Internet subscribers Internet subscribers using modems
attached to cable television
networks with speed greater than 128kbps in at least one direction.

DSL Internet subscribers Internet subscribers using Digital Subscriber
Line (DSL) technology
with speed greater than 128kbps in at least one direction.
Estimated Internet users The number of Internet users.

% female Internet users Share of females in the total number of Internet
users. This is
calculated by dividing the number of female Internet users by the total
number of Internet users.

Female users as % of female population Share of female Internet users in
the total number of females. This is
calculated by dividing the number of female Internet users by the total
number of females.

International Internet Bandwidth (Mbps) Total capacity of international
Internet bandwidth in Mega Bits Per
Second (Mbps). If capacity is asymmetric (i.e., more outgoing than
incoming or more incoming than outgoing), then outgoing capacity is
used.

Internet users per 100 inhabitants Calculated by dividing the number of
Internet users by the population
and multiplying by 100."

Yours,

Andy