[Air-l] Facebook protests

Mark Bell typewritermark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 05:13:04 PDT 2006

With one major difference. All the people watching my yard were added as a
"friend" by me.  I don't get feed information of people who are not on my
friends list. I have given them permission to watch MarkTV already. That
permission is not mandatory therefore when given the information is no
longer private between the nodes on the network. Granting the status of
"friend" strengthens the link.

On 9/7/06, Michael Zimmer <michael.zimmer at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Continuing this analogy, this isn't about the city pushing traffic
> past your house, increasing the number of those who happen to drive
> by and see what is in your front lawn, but more like the city placing
> a camera on your front lawn and pushing the feed into the homes of
> everyone one else in the community. Rather than "just happening upon"
> the lawn because one was lucky enough to be at the right place and
> the right time, everyone can simply flip on their telescreen and see
> exactly what has changed on the lawn.
>

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Mark Bell wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> > What a person put on Facebook is like things you put on their front
> > lawn. a
> > person has no control over who drives by. They have little or no
> > control
> > over how the city can change things to push more traffic past your
> > house.
> > All they can really control is what is in your front lawn. None of the
> > information that Facebook is using is obtained without consent of
> > the user.
> > The consent they give by making a profile and uploading information.
> > <snip>

Mark Bell
MA student in Ball State University's Digital Storytelling program
http://www.storygeek.com
"The future is here...it's just not widely distributed." - Tim O'Reilly