[Air-l] Air-list

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 13 20:19:37 PDT 2006

Christian,

I wouldn't say we all have the 'have to' impulse, having deleted a number of
these recent emails outright rather than wade through them all while hoping for
something list-relevant :)

I'm not sure I see the connection between that kind of impetus and F2F habits,
though - attending to list posts involves actively opening emails using a
medium that was designed for asynchronous communication, which I don't see much
of a parallel to in face to face spoken discourse (though I could certainly see
a parallel between the unopened mail in the inbox to the summons of a telephone
ring, where the 'expected' action is to give the message your time).  I think
defining 'the floor' as being the same in email and F2F is where I'm seeing the
disconnect.

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw - PhD student
Department of Linguistics