[Air-l] "last mile" query

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Sep 8 13:16:16 PDT 2006

Jonathan:

Ellijah is correct about this being a telecom term, and that is now
being co-opted. I am writing my dissertation in part on convergence and
I found that the telecom break up is critical to convergence of much of
modern communications because it opened up the gateway for AT&T's
patents to be used for both their intended and non-intended purposes and
created innovation competition (Bagdikian, 2005;Jenkins, 2006;Lessig,
2004) that resulted in the commercialization of the Internet, cable
de-regulation (Cable Act of 1984 occurred that same year), the
Sony-Betmax case and eventually the Telecomm Act of 1996 and the DMCA
which was designed to protect the property of the newly merged companies
(Time/Warner, Viacom etc) from digital technologies.

The interesting thing is that most of this technology was developed
during or immediately after WWII when the military,research universities
and private industry created the partnership that created convergence,
modern globalism, the Internet, space exploration and the computer age.