[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet"

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 09:20:05 PDT 2007

Jeremy,

  I occurs to me that I have not provided the ontology to which I am committed. While one example may be considered anecdotal, I think this one serves as an exemplar for the line of reasoning. It is taken from the field of artificial intelligence which as borrowed it from more philosophical origins.

  "An ontology defines the terminology of a domain of knowledge: the concepts that constitute the domain, and the relationships between those concepts. In order for two or more knowledge-based systems to interoperate—for example, by exchanging knowledge, or collaborating as agents in a co-operative problem-solving process—they must commit to the definitions in a common ontology."  Waterson, A., Preeces, A. (1999) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V0P-3WHCH7K-6&_user=10&_coverDate=04%2F30%2F1999&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=72e124fe5f4b1e8394b48bf482397558

  I hope this helps!

  James