[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet" ? - ontology revisited

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 09:35:25 PDT 2007

Robert Cannon wrote: "Where does the Internet end and everything else begin?  Part of how the Internet is defined depends on why you ask.  I am a communications attorney.  As such, it is important to know whether one is on the Internet, a mobile telephone network, or digital television transmission medium.  The laws with regard to each is entirely different."

  Wouldn't this boil down to the fact that all of the things you mention are wide-area networks with the "widest" being *the* ?nternet? I spose that would make the "narrower" ones
  "?nternet-connectable networks."

  Best regards, Will

William Bain
PhD Student